Alumni Internship Program
You've Studied Abroad with CIEE – Now Join Us Behind the Scenes
Every year, we accept a special group of students for paid, nine-week internships at our Portland, Maine, headquarters working on strategic projects that reflect our global workplace and our international nonprofit mission. And, if you’ve completed a CIEE college study abroad program, you’re eligible.
Extraordinary Projects & Personal Development
Forget making copies and fetching coffee. Our comprehensive summer program includes the following elements to create a rewarding and highly-valuable summer experience:
- Challenging strategic projects. Learn about a particular business unit as you tackle a project that builds professional skills and makes a meaningful contribution to CIEE’s family of programs.
- Mentoring. Join a specific business unit and become part of the team for the summer, with guidance from your mentor who is typically a manager in that business.
- Weekly personal leadership seminars. Together, we’ll examine what you’re learning this summer and help you leverage your skills to reach your long-term career goals via the “Personal Leadership and Identity in the Global Workplace.”
- Fun outings. You’ll also have time to explore your surroundings and take advantage of all Maine has to offer in the summer. This includes group activities for CIEE interns, like a white water rafting trip on the Allagash River, and mixers with interns who are working at other Maine-based organizations.
- Housing. CIEE provides a shared dormitory housing option at an ocean-side college campus a few miles from downtown Portland, where CIEE is based.
- Rising seniors (graduating in Fall 2018 or after) at a U.S. college or university from any major. Rising juniors with previous work experience will also be considered.
- Alumni of undergraduate CIEE Study Abroad programs
- Demonstrated capacity for developing and understanding strategy.
- Deep interest in creating and analyzing programs or processes
- Able to collaborate, lead, work independently and communicate effectively
The application period for the 2018 internship program has closed. Applications for the 2019 internship will be accepted between December 2018 and March 2019; please check back at that time for more information.
For questions about our internship program, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What People are Saying
“Going into my senior year, I know that I am more prepared, professionally and personally, than if I had not been a part of this internship. It was an amazing opportunity to grow!”Lea Sandoval, Alumni Intern 2017
Examples of Past Projects
|Study Abroad||The two study abroad interns will be responsible for spearheading and conducting research on student diversity in u.s. study abroad today and assisting ciee with the development of a strategy for broader outreach and support with students and member institutions|
|Research||The research intern will focus on business development and research related to outbound internship programming|
Global high school
|The global high school intern will drive the review of our existing high school abroad offering, and the research and planning to develop added value to the high school study abroad program|
Global high school
|The global high school intern will research new strategies to maximize efficiencies and outreach efforts abroad for inbound high school summer programs|