Study Abroad Staffing Updates - September

Europe

Photo for blog post Study Abroad Staffing Updates - September

Ullrich Lohrmann, Ph.D.
Director
Global Institute - Berlin

Ullrich has been working in study abroad for over 25 years, primarily with IES in Freiburg, Germany, where he started as a student assistant in 1993, eventually working his way through the ranks to director of the IES Abroad European Union Center. At IES, Ullrich was responsible for overall academic and operational management in an atmosphere of significant participant growth.

Ullrich earned his Ph.D. in history from the Albert-Ludwigs-Universität in Freiburg, where he also completed his master’s degree. His own study abroad experience includes doctoral field research in Tanzania, a year at Oxford University, and two semesters at U.S. high schools in Virginia.

Jean-Philippe Primout
Director
Global Institute - Paris

Jean-Philippe (JP) joined CIEE in 2008, working in a number of positions, including most recently as Operations and Student Life Director. JP is known for his tireless dedication to our students and is frequently mentioned by name in program evaluations as a highlight of their experience. 

JP received his M.A. in French Language Acquisition from the University of Tours. He received his second M.A., in European Studies, from the University of Paris 8. 

Latin America

Alejandra Herrera
Director
Global Institute - Santiago

Alejandra has been working with CIEE Santiago for six years and has an additional eight years of experience teaching undergraduates in Childean universities, designing workshops, and hiring/training faculty. 

Alejandra holds an M.A. in Curriculum Development and Educational Projects Design and a bachelor's degree in Education, English Language and Literature. Her own study abroad experience brought her to Melbourne, Australia.

Pacific Rim

Nicole Latham
Director
Global Institute - Sydney

Nicole has held senior leadership positions in both the higher education and health sectors in Australia. Prior to joining CIEE, Nicole worked for the University of Newcastle, Australia, where was responsible for initiatives and strategies to enhande the retention and success of students, and for supporting the implementation of institutional strategies relating to priority areas of the student experience. In particular, she coordinated the University’s undergraduate research, entrepreneurship and innovation strategy. She also oversaw international student welfare, the University’s Overseas Mobility program, and international leadership development program.

Nicole is a deputy convener for the International Admissions and Compliance Network, with International Education Association of Australia (IEAA). She holds an MBA and a bachelor's degree in business from the University of Newcastle, and a master's in Health Service Management from Charles Sturt University. Her interest in study abroad commenced as a young high school student, where she spent 12 months as an exchange student, living and studying in Sapporo, Japan.

David H. Satterwhite, Ph.D.
Center Director
Kyoto

Prior to joining CIEE, David held directorship roles at the Japan-U.S. Education Commission, Fulbright Japan, and The Economist Group. He also taught at Temple University and Waseda University in Japan.

David grew up in Kyoto and returned to the U.S. to complete his tertiary education, earning his master's degree and Ph.D. from the University of Washington in Seattle. 

Qu Shan
Center Director
Beijing

Qu Shan has worked at CIEE for over six years, starting out as an adjunct faculty and coordinator supporting FAC programs, before becoming a full-time program coordinator two years ago. Prior to joining CIEE, Qu Shan held program management roles with Princeton Center in Beijing and Schwarzman College of Tsinghua University.

Qu Shan earned a bachelor's degree in teaching Chinese as a foreign language from Shandong Normal University, and obtained her master's degree at Minzhu University.