Meet CIEE's Site Directors in Africa

Caroline Maas

One of the things that sets CIEE apart is its people. Over the next few newsletters, I will be introducing you  to CIEE Site Directors from around the globe. Some may be familiar to you, other faces may be new. These outstanding leaders have on-site responsibility for program management and it is they who are entrusted with looking after your students on program.  Meet CIEE's Site Directors in Africa:

Kwasi Gyasi-Gyamerah, Director, CIEE Legon

Kwasi has served as the Center Director for CIEE, Legon since 2006.  He holds a Masters in Clinical Psychology and a PhD in Education from the University of Ghana, Legon.  His research interests are in International Education and Intercultural Adaptation.  He has served as a Counsellor on Adolescent reproductive health and sexuality issues for street youth in Accra with Streetwise Project-Ghana. He sings in a choir and loves watching football (soccer).  His favourite football team is Kumasi Asante Kotoko.

Read more about CIEE programs in Legon>>

Basetsana Maposa, Director, CIEE Gaborone

Basetsana joined CIEE as Director in Gaborone, Botswana. She returned to Botswana in 2008 after spending 10 years studying and working in the United States.  Basetsana has extensive experience working in health, youth leadership, human rights and educational development. Prior to joining CIEE she worked for Research Triangle Institute (RTI), Academy for Educational Development (AED) and for the Botswana Ministry of Health.

Basetsana holds two master’s degrees; one in public health and the other in international affairs from Ohio University.  She earned her Bachelor of Science in business administration with a minor in marketing from Mansfield University.

Read more about CIEE programs in Gaborone>>

Serigne Ndiaye, Director, CIEE Dakar

Serigne has been director of CIEE Dakar since 2002. Born and raised in Senegal, Serigne completed his undergraduate and graduate studies at Université Cheikh Anta Diop and earned his doctorate at Emory University. His primary research and teaching areas include Francophone African and Caribbean literature and culture and post-colonial theory. Serigne has taught at Emory University and the State University of New York-Albany. As a certified intercultural communication trainer, Serigne has a vast experience leading cross-cultural discussions and workshops.

Read more about CIEE programs in Dakar>>

Justin Beckham, Director, CIEE Iringa

Justin joined CIEE as the Tanzania Center Director in 2014. Originally from Northern California, he has been living, researching, and working in Tanzania for 20 years. He trained as a historian, but he has done research in fields as varied as Geography, Public Health, Development, Anthropology, and Linguistics. Along with English, he is fluent in German and Swahili, and is learning a few local Tanzanian languages on the side. Before working for CIEE, he ran an HIV research project for the Johns Hopkins School of Public Health. Justin holds Master of Arts and Master of Philosophy degrees from Yale University.

Read more about CIEE programs in Iringa>>

Madiha DeRosa, Director, CIEE Rabat

Bicultural and multilingual, Madiha DeRosa has worked with both American and Moroccan university student and faculty groups. She brings a strong background in student services, teaching, and intercultural project coordination to her position as resident director.

Madiha received her master’s degree in international education and development from George Washington University and her bachelor’s degree in international relations from Boston University.

Read more about CIEE programs in Rabat>>

Lara Dunwell, Director, CIEE Global Institute, Cape Town

Lara joined CIEE as the Director of the Global Institute in Cape Town in March 2018.  She had been working at the University of Cape Town, CIEE’s direct enrolment partner in the city,   since 1996.  Initially a lecturer in English Language and Literature, she gained 17 years’ experience leading short term direct enrolment programs for the university, and contributed to many strategic internationalisation initiatives.  Lara serves on the Management Council of the International Education Association of South Africa, and is passionate about the transformative potential of international education for South Africa.  She holds a master’s degree In English Language and Literature from the University of Cape Town.

Read more about CIEE programs in Cape Town>>

Tags: