CIEE Statement on Executive Order on Immigrants and Refugees

On Friday, January 27, U.S. President Donald Trump issued an executive order that banned entry into the United States by people from seven Muslim-majority nations for 90 days and ordered that families fleeing Syria be indefinitely blocked from entering the U.S. The executive order has left many with questions and concerns regarding the future of immigration and exchange in the U.S.

Like so many across the nation, CIEE is working to determine the full impact of the executive order on our participants, staff, and partners worldwide. We are actively supporting our participants in the U.S. who are affected by the ban and will continue to share information and provide counsel as new details emerge.

Since 1947, CIEE has brought together people from different backgrounds to humanize international relations, increase global harmony, and nurture peace around the world. For 70 years we have held that through the exchange of ideas and experiences, we can foster understanding and mutual respect that will enable people to embrace their differences and celebrate their common ground. This mission – to advance peace between people from all nations, regardless of religious, ethnic, or cultural backgrounds – has never been more important than it is today.

International exchange is an enduring American institution, and CIEE is committed to protecting and advancing its long and strong legacy. We are actively working with internal staff, colleagues at The Alliance for International Exchange, and advisors in Washington D.C. to respond to the rapidly changing landscape in international exchange and to engage in discussions with key members of Congress and the Trump administration. As the national conversations continue, CIEE and its partners will remain at the table to ensure our voices – and the voices of our participants worldwide – are heard.