AIC Receives PIEoneer Award for Real Life Learning

On Thursday, September 19, international representatives from around the world came together in London for the 2019 PIEoneer Awards, which honor innovation and achievement across the whole of the international education industry.  CIEE's custom internship division, the Academic Internship Council (AIC), in partnership with University of Sydney, Australia, and University of California, Berkeley, was recognized for the Real Life Learning Award. Kate Moore, Vice President of Global Internships, accepted the award at the celebration. 

AIC partners with colleges and universities to provide high-quality student internships abroad that add value to their academic programs. Each student takes part in a comprehensive program customized to meet the unique and evolving needs of a university partner or academic department. One of the highlights of AIC's initiatives was a program launched in 2018, titled “AIC and University of California-Berkeley - Literacy and Learning in a Global World: San Francisco Program for University of Sydney Department of Education Students." This particular program was recognized during the PIEoneer Awards, acknowledging the challenge of bringing students from polar opposite hemispheres to one location for internship opportunities. 

Thirteen University of Sydney students from the School of Education and Social Work engaged in a three-week project-based field placement combined with a six-week online unit of study delivered through UC Berkeley. The online course combined theory and practice in the study of literacy and development. The field placements served as a foundation for the course, with focus on youth education, community programs, innovative solutions, and mission-driven agencies. The city provided a laboratory to discuss public policy, explore cultural activities, and discover personal career goals.

"It is particularly exciting and inspiring to see the range of initiatives highlighted in Real Life Learning through the PIEoneer Awards," Kate said. "CIEE programs link global education with local learning, developing new connections amongst communities, campuses, or corporations. Those ‘real life’ interactions add a great deal to international education!"

Congratulations AIC, Kate, and the other winners of the 2019 PIEoneer Awards!