Work & Travel USA Facebook Page
CIEE- council on international educational exchange
Contact CIEE


300 Fore Street
Portland, ME 04101 USA
Tel: 1.888.268.6245
Fax: 207-553-5272

General Questions & Non-Emergencies

Tel: 1.888.COUNCIL (1.888.268.6245)

Business Hours

June 1 – September 1:
Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 7:00 pm
Saturdays 9:00 am to 5:00 pm

The rest of the year:

Monday through Friday 9:00am to 5:00pm

24 Hour Emergency Line

1.888.COUNCIL (1.888.268.6245)
Media inquiries should be emailed to

Contact a local representative in your home country to apply to the CIEE Work & Travel USA program. They will be your main point of contact throughout the application process, from when you apply to when you depart. The process is easy, and before you know it, you’ll be working and traveling in the U.S.!


To be eligible for the CIEE Work & Travel USA program, you must:

  • Be at least 18 years old (check with your local representative for specific rules).
  • Be registered as a full-time student at a university or other institution of post-secondary education. The degree/diploma course in which you are registered must be at least two years in duration. Students in post-graduate courses, that are less than two years (i.e. masters courses), are also eligible.
  • Be able to function in an English-speaking work environment. Complete an English language interview, in person or by telephone, by your local agency.
  • Have a pre-arranged job and a minimum of $800 available in order to support yourself upon arrival in the U.S. If you do not have a job, you must bring a minimum of $1200.

Students studying in a country other than their country of citizenship are eligible to participate on the CIEE Work & Travel USA program, provided they meet all the program eligibility requirements. Foreign students may apply for a visa in their country of residence or country of citizenship, depending on local U.S. Embassy guidelines. Talk with your local representative to learn more.

In certain cases, students may participate in the program multiple times. Eligibility is determined with input from the local U.S. Embassies and cannot be guaranteed by CIEE.

The following categories of applicants are considered:

  • Past participants of the CIEE Work & Travel USA program
  • Past participants in another organization's Summer Work & Travel program
  • Students who have previously worked as Summer Camp Support Staff (not as camp counselors)

Students in the following categories are not considered second-timers, and therefore are eligible to apply for the CIEE Work & Travel USA Program:

  • Students who have participated in an Au Pair or Camp Counselor program (but not as Summer Camp Support Staff)
  • Students who have held a J-1 Visa to study in a U.S. high school, or a U.S. college, or university

Keep in mind that the following job types are not acceptable for Work & Travel USA participants:

  • Au pair / nanny / babysitting / domestic labor
  • Camp counselor / teacher / coach
  • Medical / veterinary / pharmaceutical services or any job that requires direct patient contact or dispensing of medication
  • Adult entertainment industry jobs
  • Crew member on ships or airplanes, or as pilots
  • Sales jobs involving purchasing sales merchandise to resell (e.g. door-to-door sales)
  • Employment through staffing agencies
CIEE works with representatives around the world. They will be able to provide you with program information, application forms and will help you through the application process.

I also learned about life, friendship, how to survive by myself.
Any commentary used in your video must be in English.

By entering the contest, you are agreeing to allow WYSE Work Abroad and CIEE to use your video to promote work abroad programs.

WYSE Work Abroad: Expand Your Horizons Video Contest

WYSE Work Abroad: Expand Your Horizons Video Contest

Enter the WYSE Work Abroad Video Contest and you could win US$2,000!

As a member of WYSE Work Abroad, CIEE encourages you to showcase your creative talents by joining WYSE Work Abroad’s “Expand Your Horizons” Video Contest. Submit a 2-3 minute video about your work abroad, volunteer, work and travel, or internship experience, and you could win US $2,000!

Find out more about this exciting contest by visiting the contest microblog site:

The 2011 contest is now closed. Check back in April 2012 for details of the 2012 contest!

Be sure to notify WYSE Work Abroad that you’ve entered the contest by emailing them your name and the title of your video. You must also indicate that you are a CIEE Work & Travel USA participant.

If you have questions, please visit the WYSE Work Abroad website or email them at


CIEE Extras

CIEE is pleased to announce new benefits available to all CIEE Work & Travel USA participants. These benefits and services are provided to all students at little or no extra charge.

Student Advantage

Even if you have an ISIC card, the Student Advantage card can offer you extra discounts! For a membership cost of only US$12 (+$2.50 for shipping), CIEE Work & Travel USA participants can save on thousands of products and services around the USA, including trains, buses, even A|X Armani Exchange! Find out more.
ostelling International USA

Hostelling International USA provides high quality hostels in more than 70 locations throughout the U.S. Find out where they’re located, book your beds online, and access special offers just for Work & Travel USA participants here. Happy Travels!

Hostelworld offers some of the best deals on hostels and hotels around the world! And, with a Student Advantage membership, you can get even better deals! .
CIEE recommends you use to file your U.S. tax return. With you will pay nothing upfront (a processing fee of 10% will be deducted from your refund). customer service in 25 languages and you can choose from a range of different payment and currency options for receiving your U.S. tax refund. We make getting your U.S. tax refund easy! Find out more.

StudentUniverse is the largest online travel agency for students in the US. You can book airfares, hotels, rail passes, rental cars and travel insurance. Get your student discount on travel: