To be eligible for the CIEE Work & Travel USA program, you must:
- Be at least 18 years old (check with your local representative for specific rules).
- Be registered as a full-time student at a university or other institution of post-secondary education. The degree/diploma course in which you are registered must be at least two years in duration. Students in post-graduate courses, that are less than two years (i.e. masters courses), are also eligible.
- Be able to function in an English-speaking work environment. Complete an English language interview, in person or by telephone, by your local agency.
- Have a pre-arranged job and a minimum of $800 available in order to support yourself upon arrival in the U.S. If you do not have a job, you must bring a minimum of $1200.
Students studying in a country other than their country of citizenship are eligible to participate on the CIEE Work & Travel USA program, provided they meet all the program eligibility requirements. Foreign students may apply for a visa in their country of residence or country of citizenship, depending on local U.S. Embassy guidelines. Talk with your local representative to learn more.
In certain cases, students may participate in the program multiple times. Eligibility is determined with input from the local U.S. Embassies and cannot be guaranteed by CIEE.
The following categories of applicants are considered:
- Past participants of the CIEE Work & Travel USA program
- Past participants in another organization's Summer Work & Travel program
- Students who have previously worked as Summer Camp Support Staff (not as camp counselors)
Students in the following categories are not considered second-timers, and therefore are eligible to apply for the CIEE Work & Travel USA Program:
- Students who have participated in an Au Pair or Camp Counselor program (but not as Summer Camp Support Staff)
- Students who have held a J-1 Visa to study in a U.S. high school, or a U.S. college, or university
Keep in mind that the following job types are not acceptable for Work & Travel USA participants:
- Au pair / nanny / babysitting / domestic labor
- Camp counselor / teacher / coach
- Medical / veterinary / pharmaceutical services or any job that requires direct patient contact or dispensing of medication
- Adult entertainment industry jobs
- Crew member on ships or airplanes, or as pilots
- Sales jobs involving purchasing sales merchandise to resell (e.g. door-to-door sales)
- Employment through staffing agencies
CIEE works with representatives around the world
. They will be able to provide you with program information, application forms and will help you through the application process.