Teach in Thailand, and get to know locals who will show you the country behind the news stories. Travel to work on a speeding tuk-tuk auto rickshaw, explore dazzling downtown Bangkok, meet the keepers of ancient temples, and become part of a Thai school community. The CIEE Teach in Thailand program offers placements in paid semester-long and yearlong positions, teaching English at primary or secondary schools in urban, town, or rural locations.
As a CIEE participant, you’ll fulfill an important role as a highly respected English teacher within the Thai educational system. Whether your future plans include continued travel, service work, continuing your education, or joining the work force, bolstering your communication skills in Thailand is sure to boost your credentials and prospects.
Teach abroad in Thailand with CIEE and you can:
- Learn Thai customs, share your own way of life, and embark on new adventures with new friends
- Explore the thick jungle, crystal-blue river waters, and rollicking city life that make Thailand the most-visited country in Southeast Asia
- Check out Chiang Mai, the Rose of the North, an ancient walled city surrounded by mountains and lush countryside, or the Golden Triangle, a hilly landscape divided by the Ruak and Mekong rivers that forms a natural boundary between Laos, Myanmar, and Thailand
Understanding Your Options
Our Teach in Thailand programs are designed for applicants with different backgrounds. Both include free housing.
- Teach in Thailand – Our core program does not require prior teaching experience and you have the option to choose a one- or two- semester commitment. Participants who begin in May and teach for two consecutive semesters at the same school are eligible for a 20,000-baht bonus to offset the cost of return airfare upon program completion.
- Teach in Thailand - Professional – Designed for those with education (elementary and secondary), math and hard science degrees, the Professional program provides higher salaries. All participants are eligible for a 20,000-baht bonus to offset the cost of return airfare upon program completion.
Our handy tool lets your review the details of multiple programs at once. Compare now
Need help? Call 1-800-40-STUDY, ext. 6.
A rewarding job opportunity that includes:
- Pre-departure placement at a reputable school
- Salary to cover living expenses and adventures
- Rent-free accommodations for the duration of your teaching contract
- A completion bonus after two consecutive semesters of teaching to support the cost of return airfare (for participants who start in May only)
Teaching programs that deliver more, including:
- Teaching and program guides to help you plan and prepare
- An online, blended-learning CIEE course that prepares you with skills you’ll use in Thailand and throughout your career
- A six-day orientation in Bangkok or Chiang Mai (depending on your teaching assignment) with:
- Classes in TEFL theory and practice, and Thai language
- Cross-cultural training
- Accommodations and most meals
- Support from an English-speaking school coordinator who will help you adjust to cultural differences
Assistance to make your journey easier, including:
- Pre-departure guidance to help you:
- Find the right program
- Apply online for Teach Abroad
- Complete visa paperwork
- Prepare for your experience with valuable professional development
- Thai visa assistance
- Airport transfer and transportation from orientation to your host institution
- International medical insurance and 24-hour worldwide assistance with CIEE iNext travel insurance
- 24 hour in-country emergency support services via our partner, Overseas Educational Group (OEG)
- >A Lonely Planet guidebook to plan your travels
CIEE participants are placed mostly in the central and northern provinces of Thailand, with some limited placements in the south, depending on demand. It’s easy to see why this is the most visited country in Southeast Asia as you explore dense green jungles, crystal-blue oceans as warm as bath water, food with flavors that burst on your taste buds, and the company of smiling, adventurous people.
Most participants are placed in public or private schools across the country. Placements in Bangkok and Chiang Mai are limited and typically more competitive.
Preparation and Support
You'll see the CIEE difference in the quality of our offerings and the diversity of the cultural exchange opportunities we provide. Our unmatched preparation and comprehensive support are carefully designed to make your journey easy, enjoyable and successful.
Your CIEE program fee covers all the essential elements, including:
- Your pre-departure teaching assignment
- Assistance getting ready for your trip
- An in-country orientation program
- Continued emergency assistance
- iNext international insurance with 24-hour emergency assistance
- Visa advice
- A program handbook
- A Lonely Planet guidebook to help you plan your travels
Before you leave
We'll make sure you have everything you need to teach abroad, from visa guidance to details about your job to sound advice on how to settle into your new teaching position.
Enrollment in a Teach Abroad program includes an online course designed to help you build a framework of practical, cultural, and professional skills. You also can call us with any questions – our knowledgeable staff is ready to help.
Before you go, CIEE staff members will help you secure a single entry non-immigrant B visa, necessary for teaching in Thailand. This is your entry permit, and will be your visa in Thailand until your school helps you transfer this visa into a work permit. The process to get your non-immigrant B visa prior to departure to Thailand takes about six weeks, and you’re required to send your passport, which will be returned to you before departure. We’ll provide all the details during the pre-departure process.
When you arrive
CIEE understands that it can be overwhelming to land in an unfamiliar country with an extended stay ahead. You’ll have many questions. We’re here to help and make you feel welcome.
When you arrive, CIEE Thailand program staff will pick you up at the airport. Then, it’s off to a six-day orientation program in Bangkok, conducted by our partner in Thailand, the Overseas Educational Group (OEG). OEG is a reputable educational organization in Thailand that CIEE partners with for our Teach Abroad, High School Abroad, and Work & Travel USA programs.
During this week you’ll get to know the OEG staff members, who will be part of the support network available to you during your time in Thailand. The OEG team can help you solve everyday problems at school, work through cultural issues, and even provide advice for weekend travel. And they’re always there to help in an emergency.
During orientation, you’ll also meet the fellow teachers who join you as you embark on this exciting journey. Relationships are often forged, travel plans made, and visits promised. You’ll leave for your teaching placement with friends and connections throughout Thailand!
- Classes on TEFL theory and practice, Thai language, and local culture
- Accommodations and most meals included
- Sightseeing trips in and around Bangkok to introduce you to Thai culture
- Transportation from orientation to your host institution
Rent-free accommodations are provided for all participants for the duration of their contracts. They vary from apartments to faculty housing, but usually include a bedroom, shower, bath, sitting room, and limited kitchen facilities. In some cases, Internet access may be available for an additional fee; otherwise, access should be available on campus or in Internet cafés.
iNext travel insurance
There’s enough to think about when you travel overseas. Peace of mind is priceless, and CIEE provides it by including insurance as part of every Teach Abroad program. U.S. resident participants are covered by iNext, which supplements your private insurance to cover the cost of accidents and unexpected medical attention while abroad. The policy also offers emergency evacuation coverage with 24-hour worldwide assistance.
Learn more about iNext
CIEE TEFL courses are a terrific way to get ready for your teaching adventure!
Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) certification gives you the skills, experience, and confidence that makes this journey even more rewarding, both for you and those you teach. Our cutting-edge coursework is conducted online, so you can participate from almost anywhere.
Accredited by the World TEFL Accrediting Commission, our 150-hour TEFL certification course ensures that you:
- Get feedback on your progress, along with fellow classmates in an interactive environment led by a single tutor
- Develop an awareness of the field and practices of TEFL
- Understand the components of English related to teaching of non-native speakers
- Can design lessons for TEFL students at a variety of levels
- Can create appropriate lesson plans in listening, speaking, reading, and writing
- Practice your new skills with a 20-hour teaching practicum
CIEE 150-hour certification courses begin every two weeks. Learn more.
Teach English Abroad with Confidence