BERLIN – BARCELONA – PRAGUE – NEW YORK
Designed specifically to meet the academic requirements of advanced architecture and design students, our new Global Architecture and Design programs offer students the chance to further their major studies in one of the world’s global centers for design innovation and excellence.
With the help of faculty who are leading experts and innovators in the field, you’ll complete a real-world design project with the potential to positively impact future generations. The goal: to further your academic studies, gain real-world professional skills, and acquire an understanding of architecture and design within an emerging global context.
Our new Global Architecture and Design programs were created in partnership with Terreform ONE and ONE Lab New York School for Design and Science.
The first semester of the CIEE Global Architecture and Design Programs is off to a great start. Here’s what our students have to say so far. To read more, click here:
It was amazing to meet our professors and interact with them in a casual setting before beginning our classes. It immediately created bonds and fostered a community unlike the mentor-ship that is traditional at my home University … Each day has been an adventure!”
- Elisabeth; University of Massachusetts, Amherst
…everything has been thoroughly organized and planned, which leaves my classmates and I to focus on learning some new skills and perspectives and producing some high-quality architectural research.”
- Eric; Tulane University
The combination of classroom exercises and outdoor excursions has been essential to my success.”
- Ryan; Tulane University
Cities of Tomorrow
Cities today offer a unique setting for resources, people, opportunities, and ideas to converge and spur innovation, technology, and thought. To match this impending social evolution, in the future, architects and designers will need to create an equally worthy technological evolution. Ideally, cities of tomorrow will grow to be self-sufficient in their critical necessities through massive public works and infrastructural support.
On our Global Architecture and Design programs, you’ll explore these “Future Cities”—including current and future social, economic, and technological trends—and the emerging discipline of global “urbaneering.” Using your host city as a laboratory, you’ll rethink what is beneficial about the city, in both its forms and its life, and develop new ideas to address current architectural and design challenges.
In Barcelona, Berlin, Prague, or New York City, you’ll:
- Participate in hands-on design studios and workshops in cutting-edge studio space using the latest technological tools
- Take part in an innovative curriculum focused on direct experimentation with technology to close the gap that exists between design, individual responsibility, and the current global environmental crisis
- Learn about an array of green technologies, from building integrated photovoltaic (BIPV) skyscrapers and personalized public transportation systems to sustainable green spaces and sewage and water treatment and reclamation infrastructure
- Study with faculty who are innovators in the fields of architecture, material science, urban design, landscape architecture, and civil and environmental engineering
- Interact with elite architecture and design firms, institutes, and organizations during studio visits and guest lectures
- Go on fascinating excursions to sites of major architectural and technological significance and locations of historical and societal importance to learn about the vibrant history and culture of the host city
No matter which city you choose to study in, you’ll take the Future Cities Design Studio, the Future Cities Seminar, and Science, Engineering, and Technology Workshops, all taught in English, that are enriched by local conditions. Plus, you’ll engage in an intensive weeklong survival language study, take fascinating history and culture electives, participate in collaborative projects with local faculty and peers, and much more.
Maria Aiolova, Academic Director for Architecture and Design
The CIEE Global Architecture and Design programs were created by CIEE Academic Director for Architecture and Design Maria Aiolova, LEED AP. Maria is an award-winning educator, architect, and urban designer based in New York City. She is co-founder of Terreform ONE and chair of the ONE Lab New York School for Design and Science.
Collaboration and Collective Action
Our Global Architecture and Design program seeks to generate a new platform for distributed knowledge and collective action. You’ll connect with your peers, faculty, and researchers in other CIEE Global Architecture and Design cities throughout the course of the program. Through an online platform, you’ll share knowledge, collaborate on projects, and debate common questions. In the middle of the semester, you’ll travel to another Global Architecture and Design city to participate in presentations and reviews. And at the end of the semester along with all CIEE Global Architecture and Design participants, you’ll create a shared publication of your work.
Choose the location and program length that’s right for you!