For more than 65 years, CIEE has been the world leader in international exchange, providing institutions with the highest quality programs that support their mission to internationalize campuses.
CIEE’s International Faculty Development Seminars (IFDS) provide faculty and administrators from institutions of higher education with access to the rich academics, diverse intercultural experiences, and innovative approaches to learning and problem-solving needed to enhance syllabi, internationalize curricula, and increase global understanding on your campus.
For 10–11 days on an IFDS, you’ll take part in an intensive academic experience structured around key programmatic components:
- Dynamic virtual pre-departure session where participants jumpstart exploration of the seminar theme with CIEE seminar leaders and cohort members prior to arriving on site.
- Detailed syllabus that includes readings, objectives, and framing questions for all seminar activities, used by CIEE seminar leaders to structure and navigate the program’s academic progression.
- Comprehensive on-site orientation that introduces participants to the CIEE Study Center and includes segments focused on intercultural development and engaging the seminar syllabus and learning objectives.
- Lectures and discussion sessions led by local faculty, researchers, public officials, and practitioners who present, analyze, and discuss the primary questions and debates relevant to the seminar theme.
- Site visits and intercultural activities at local NGOs, schools, heritage sites, museums, and community institutions that provide practical experience and opportunities to engage meaningfully with local people, complementing the theoretical discussions held in class.
- Outcomes-focused workshop on the final day of the seminar, during which participants are provided with a structured forum for outlining plans to apply their seminar experience in the areas of teaching, research, and internationalization.
Choose your international professional development experience:
- Single site or multi-site.
- Disciplines ranging from business to international relations to public health.
- Winter, spring, or summer sessions.
- More than 30 options around the world.
No matter which IFDS you choose, you’ll further your knowledge, expertise, and passion to facilitate internationalization at every level of your institution:
- Incorporate newly gained global views into course content.
- Create new courses—at home or abroad—that examine subjects through a particular cultural lens.
- Form lasting partnerships with institutions and scholarly organizations around the globe.
- Encourage students to pursue their own study abroad experiences.
- Design and lead your own international program with the support and expertise of the CIEE Custom and Faculty-Led department.
Click here to review the Program Terms + Conditions.