SEVIS is the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System. It is the U.S. Government system for tracking all visitors to the U.S. You must register for SEVIS when you arrive, no later than 20 days after the start date listed on your DS-2019 Form. Registering for SEVIS is a requirement of your J-1 Visa and failure to do so will result in withdrawal from your CIEE program. If your arrival in the U.S. is delayed beyond the 20-day registration period, contact your representative to request a new DS-2019.
CIEE Offers Three Easy Ways To Register:
- Go to www.MySEVIS.com
- Log in with your DS-2019 Number and last name
- Enter your address and contact information
- Confirm or report your employer information
- Call CIEE at 1.888.268.6245
- Have your DS-2019 number, address information, and employer information available
- Email CIEE at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Include your name, DS-2019 number, address where you are living, and employer information
Things To Remember About Registering For SEVIS:
- You must be in the U.S. to register. Do not register from your home country.
- You cannot register before your DS-2019 start date and you must register no later than 20 days after your DS-2019 start date. If you will be traveling more than 20 days after this date, contact your representative for a new DS-2019 form.
- You can register with a temporary address, like a hotel or hostel, but you must update your address if you move.
- CIEE recommends you register for SEVIS at least two days before you apply for a Social Security Number.
- You need to register for SEVIS even if you already have a Social Security Number.
- Finally, it is your responsibility to update SEVIS with any changes to your address, within 10 days of the change. You can update SEVIS using one of the methods described above.
- You must also update SEVIS if you change your host organization, but there are special procedures for this. You must call CIEE at 1-888-268-6245 before taking any action to change your host organization.
CIEE is here to help you follow the rules and regulations of your visa. Please contact us if you have any questions regarding SEVIS.