Hurricane Irene Approaches U.S. East Coast
As Hurricane Irene makes its way to the east coast, CIEE wants to provide some useful information on what to do if your community is affected. We will continue to post updates to the CIEE website and provide email updates and news that will be helpful to you. You can also call CIEE at 1-888-268-6245 at any time if you have questions about the storm. Please see below for helpful safety tips in preparation for the storm’s arrival:
- Stay informed. Watch local news for storm updates. If Hurricane Irene is a serious threat to your community, evacuation instructions will be provided on the local news networks. You may also view updates on Hurricane Irene on the National Weather Service website.
- The American Red Cross may arrive in your community if the hurricane does happen. They are an excellent emergency response organization and we ask you to look at their website to learn their latest news on the storm: http://www.redcross.org/.
- Local authorities or the Red Cross may organize storm shelters for your safety. These shelters are excellent places to go, even if you only have questions. If there is a shelter available and the hurricane will be in your area, CIEE strongly advises you to go there for your safety.
- Please know the police and fire departments are friendly and they will help you in an emergency situation.
- Prepare yourself. CIEE encourages you to read more about hurricanes on the National Weather Service and the Red Cross websites. They offer excellent ideas for how to safely prepare for a hurricane storm.
- Ask your employer if Hurricane Irene will affect your town if you’re not sure. Your employer may have experienced these storms in the past and will be able to tell you what to expect and what to do.
In the event that you must move to a temporary shelter, and if you have access to email or a telephone, please let us know where you are and that you are safe. If necessary, we will notify your CIEE agent in your home country so that they can notify your parents. You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us, toll-free, at 1-888-268-6245.