Department: Executive Director of Marketing Communications
Reports To: Marketing & Communications
Location: CIEE Headquarters, Portland, Maine
A nonprofit, non-governmental organization, CIEE is the world leader in international education and exchange. For 65 years CIEE has helped thousands of people gain the knowledge and skills necessary to live and work in a globally interdependent and culturally diverse world by offering the most comprehensive, relevant, and valuable exchange programs available. Serving over 300 U.S. College and University consortium members, CIEE operates sixty study centers in over forty countries that support study abroad programs for over 6,000 students annually. In addition, as the largest sponsor for U.S. Department of State J-1 Visa programs, CIEE helps nearly 25,000 international students participate in U.S. based exchange programs annually. CIEE programs and services span study abroad, teach abroad, international faculty development seminars, and inbound exchange study, work, and internship programs for today’s high school and university students, professionals, and educators.
We strive to lead a robust community of international program providers and sponsors through innovation, exemplary service and exceptional efficiency. Our success depends on having the very best professionals. CIEE is committed to recruiting and retaining the best people in the industry, particularly those who are passionate about international education, are self-starters with high levels of energy and autonomy, and are dedicated to exceed expectations in every challenge.
Summary of Position:
CIEE's award winning Web Team is responsible for the strategic direction, design, development, and maintenance of over 20 program and business websites, as well as their respective blogs, social media channels, associated digital assets, and marketing materials.
The web team strives to be on the cutting edge of the digital landscape in all aspects – design, development, marketing, and analysis. The team prides itself on putting the user experience first, and ensuring the latest techniques and trends are being implemented.
The Director of Web & Digital Marketing will effectively lead a team of designers, developers, and digital marketers who manage the digital operations for all of CIEE’s websites and associated collateral. Working closely with marketing managers and respective business leaders, the Director will drive the innovation, development, marketing, and execution of digital initiatives that assist the business in achieving its core strategic goals. Additionally, the Director will be responsible for driving the overall growth of CIEE’s online presence, position, and engagement.
- Lead and mentor a team of web designers, web developers, and digital marketers that own and execute CIEE’s digital presence.
- Provide leadership and influence to the business as it pertains to digital solutions, marketing, and direction.
- Drive the evolution and innovation of CIEE’s web presence in a rapidly changing competitive landscape.
- Direct the development and execution of digital marketing strategies that align with and support the core business goals of individual programs within CIEE, including but not limited to: SEM, SEO, social media, paid media, lead generation, email, and other initiatives.
- Drive the growth of CIEE’s participant base by overseeing the development and execution of targeted online advertising, lead generation campaigns, search marketing plans, and content strategies.
- Work closely with the IT department to ensure integration of systems and project alignment.
- Participate in the planning, monitoring, and maintenance of server environment and related assets that support our websites and applications.
- Oversee digital branding across the enterprise.
- Oversee and develops working relationships with third party digital marketing vendors and agencies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 8-10 years of professional experience managing high volume websites required
- 5+ years of experience leading and nurturing designers, developers, and digital marketers required
- 5+ years of professional experience in digital marketing – including but not limited to paid and organic search, email, social, display, and affiliate marketing. Experience with third party data providers a plus.
- Proven record of success in developing, executing, and analyzing digital marketing plans required.
- Experience with professional development of responsive websites and a keen understanding of the nuances of responsive web design required
- Professional experience using analytical tools to monitor, analyze, report, and optimize digital assets, campaigns, and overall online engagement required.
- Experience managing commercial web servers, IIS preferred
- Professional experience with ASP.Net, Visual Studio, and TFS preferred
- Proven record of success in managing project timelines and budgets required.
- Strong understanding of online behavior and the underlying forces driving that behavior required
- Proven ability directing a complex development environment while at the same time driving creative elements that are on brand.
- Proven track record developing websites that put the user experience at the forefront required.
- Must be highly analytical and results oriented.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written required. Excellent time management skills with the ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously in a dynamic, fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment required
- Physical Demands
- Lifting: 0-25 lbs
- Frequency of lifting: infrequent
- Typical business day: 9am-5pm
- Additional Physical Demands
- Ability to speak and listen on a telephone
- Ability to type, and view a computer screen
- Ability to bend and sort paperwork in a filing cabinet.
- Visual, Hearing, Dexterity & Mental Demands
- Adequate to perform the essential functions of the job such as using a telephone, answering emails, filing paperwork, viewing a computer screen, and operating office equipment.
Due to federal regulations a background check will be conducted as a condition of employment.
Interested candidates please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “Director, Web and Digital Marketing” in the subject line. We will contact those candidates we would like to meet with to further discuss this exciting opportunity. No phone calls please.