The CIEE USA High School Program is centered on academics. All students are required to maintain a C+ average or higher in all of their classes. We understand that this can be very difficult when you are trying to adjust to a new culture/language. However, we expect that you will do everything that you can to achieve this. It may require a great deal of effort on your part, but in the end you will benefit from your efforts. You were selected for this program because we believe that you have the skills necessary to succeed!
CIEE recommends the following study tips to students:
- Carry a dictionary with you whenever possible. Look up words that you don't know.
- Carry a small notebook. Write down new words in it.
- Carry an assignment pad to every class. Write your assignments in it and then show it to the teacher to make sure that you did not miss anything.
- Write your assignments on a calendar at home so that you can plan ahead for tests and projects.
- Decide on a time to study every night. Study for at least one hour. If you have no homework, review your class notes or textbook.
- Finish all homework assignments on time. Ask for help if you don't understand something.
- Ask questions in class.
- Stay after school for extra help from your teachers whenever you need it.
- Ask a classmate if you can study together.
- Always take notes in class. If you don't understand something you can look it up in the dictionary when you get home.
- Try not to answer questions with just yes or no. The more that you say the more practice that you will get.
- Don't be afraid to ask questions when you don't understand. No one will laugh!
- Have a sense of humor. It's ok to make mistakes. Mistakes will help you to learn.
- Use flash cards for new vocabulary.
- Watch television and practice copying what people say- this is good pronunciation practice.
- Consider getting a tape recorder to tape your classes. If you can listen to them again at home, then you can ask for help with the parts that you don't understand.
- Take a study break and go for a walk while you are doing homework. If you are tired then you can't concentrate.
- Don't leave assignments until the last minute.
- Balance your studying with an activity that you enjoy doing. Talking to friends or joining a club is also a good way to learn English.
- Make sure that you are getting enough sleep. Speaking a foreign language can be tiring. You need to be rested to do well in school.
CIEE recommends that students seek a tutor through their host school guidance counselor’s office if they need help with their studies.
It is important to ask for help early on and explore your school’s tutoring options.