Teacher Spotlight: Rebecca R.

Teach In South Korea Program

CIEE Teach Abroad

Very far from her home in Boerne, Texas, Rebecca Rogers is currently an English teacher in South Korea! After earning her BA in International Relations from Austin College, Rebecca decided she wanted to experience new cultures and gain a new perspective on the education system.

What has been your most memorable moment in the classroom so far?

I really love the joy and goofiness the children bring to the classroom. My younger beginning students love to teach me Korean as we are learning English. They get such joy from hearing me repeat simple phrases that they are less scared to talk to me in English.

What has been the most challenging part of your experience so far?

The culture has taken some adjustment. The food palate is so different from what I ate at home and eating out is often done in large groups which makes it awkward to eat out alone sometimes.

How do you see this experience helping/impacting your future?

Even only a few months into my placement, I have gained so much self-confidence and adaptability from constantly being outside of my comfort zone. These skills will be invaluable as I pursue a career in international affairs where I will often have to encounter cultures drastically different from my own.

What advice would you give to someone considering teaching abroad?

Just do it! It sounds really intimidating and there are a lot of unknowns, but if you love working with children and exploring new places, give it a go! There will be a lot of adjustments to make in your first few months and you will definitely question your decision, but if you really throw yourself into the experience to get all it has to offer, you will come out a much stronger person.

Would you recommend this program to a friend? Why?

I would definitely recommend CIEE to a friend. The in-country staff are so helpful, and I have made many connections with other teachers through orientations and the online TEFL course. You will never be short of a traveling buddy!