Jumping into week two!

Advocating for Social Justice

Thomas Herz

Here is a special Blog Post from our amazing Program Leader Tracy Morrison!

Our Social Justice learners are ready to take on week two! Over the last few days they have been busy attending class in the mornings at All Hallows, and exploring the city in the afternoons. One of our first excursions was to the interactive Henrietta Street Museum to learn about the tenements and housing challenges from the past, as well as the current housing issues facing Dublin families today.  We met the famous historian Terry Fagan who shared many historical sites and facts as he led us through the streets of the city. The next day we donned Viking hats for the Viking Splash Tour and rode a WW2 amphibious DUKW around the streets of Dublin. We saw many cathedrals and rows of gorgeous Georgian houses before heading into the Grand Canal Basin. We were excited to head out of the city for two excursions over the weekend. Saturday we traveled to Causey farm to learn about life in the Irish countryside. Students loved petting pigs, chickens, goats, cows, alpacas, and llamas.  We learned a traditional Irish dance, jumped in a bog, and baked our own soda bread to eat with lunch.  Sunday we took a train to Dun Laoghaire, a beautiful seaside town where students enjoyed shopping with local vendors in the park, eating fish and chips, visiting the James Joyce Museum, and some even braved the cool waters to jump into the Irish Sea.