Italy: A Day in My Life

High School Abroad in Italy

Ayana L.

I am currently studying abroad in Fano, a seaside town on the coast of the Adriatic Sea in the region of Marche, Italy. For me, a typical school day in Italy starts at 6:15 AM. The early mornings are quiet and peaceful, which are the perfect balance for the busy afternoons. My host sister Giulia and I get ready together each morning. I love my host family, and my host siblings and I are close friends. Having a host family abroad will truly enrich your experience and help you not only come out of your comfort zone but also help with the language and making lasting connections.

Once we finish getting ready, we take the bus to the town center bus stop. One of my favorite things about Italy is how beautiful the towns are. The town I live in is wonderfully quaint and near the sea. The downtown area where my school is located is filled with medieval and Roman architecture that dates back many hundreds and thousands of years.

My school is in an eight-hundred-year-old building that has had a multitude of functions in its history, most notably a wealthy family home and then a convent. If you look closely on the walls and ceilings inside you might see the faint remnants of the paintings that once adorned the building. But back to my day: Classes start at 8 AM, but teachers here tend to be laid back and so the actual “teaching” part usually starts at around 8:10. My classmates and I talk and laugh during this time; Italians are very welcoming and talkative. 

The school day tends to pass quickly. It ends earlier than most US schools usually do, with the bell ringing at 1:54. During the school day we have 7 periods, but because we have so many classes, we have different subjects each day. Another aspect that's different from the US is that there is no lunchtime in Italian schools. Since the day ends earlier, we have two snack periods instead. 

After school, I travel home on a bus with one of my friends. The bus rides are often quite enjoyable, because we can sit and listen to music as we watch the beautiful Italian countryside through the window for about half an hour. Once I get home, my host dad, Roger, usually has pasta ready for lunch (which I'm very grateful for) with a new variety every day! I find it quite impressive how many varieties exist.

After lunch, I usually take a nap before doing my homework and eating dinner with my host family, but sometimes I go to the library to study or go out with a friend. Overall, each day is a new experience in Italy. This program has been an incredible experience for me and I will treasure it forever. The way I view the world, quality of interpersonal relationships, and my gratitude for what I have in my life have completely changed for the better while I have been here. I have also become much more open-minded. If you ever have the opportunity to have an experience like this, I strongly suggest you take advantage of it. I won’t spoil all of the greatest parts for you, but it is an experience you will never forget—or regret.