10 Benefits of Studying Abroad for a Year

First Year Abroad

There are a ton of benefits of studying abroad. Almost too many to name. But we’ll try our best as we list what we consider the top 10 benefits of studying abroad for a year. 

How Does Studying Abroad Help You Personally? 

There are a lot of ways studying abroad can help you personally. Let’s dive into some of them. 

1. Studying abroad is a rewarding and empowering experience. 

Studying abroad is no easy task. The whole process of it—from getting organized ahead of your travels, filling out all the necessary paperwork, the flights to arriving in a new city on your own, taking classes in a new country, and meeting people from all over the world—is a big deal. You’ll feel a great sense of accomplishment and reward by tackling it all on your own. As you should. 

2. You’ll gain independence and increased self-confidence. 

Did we mention that studying abroad takes guts? Another major benefit of studying abroad is that you’ll learn to take challenges head on and be better for it. Your independence and self-confidence will skyrocket and will follow you throughout the rest of your college career and beyond. 

3. Improve your language learning skills. 

Even if learning a new language isn’t one of your primary goals during a study abroad trip, you’re likely to improve your language learning skills anyway! When you’re fully immersed in a new place that primarily speaks another language, you’re bound to pick up on some of it as part of daily life. In an increasingly globalized and interconnected world, improving your language learning skills is a huge personal advantage. 

4. Increase your intercultural competency. 

One of the main benefits of studying abroad is the opportunity to meet people from all over the world. You’ll learn how to communicate with people from other cultures more effectively and appropriately—a skill that will last a lifetime. 

5. Gain a deeper global perspective. 

In addition to enhancing your intercultural competency, when you meet people from different backgrounds, you’ll get to learn more about their unique perspectives that may be different than your own. Broadening your own viewpoint and looking at the world from a different and more empathetic lens will help you grow as an individual. And you’re likely to inspire others around you, too. 

Career Benefits of Studying Abroad 

Not only will you gain a lot personally from a study abroad adventure, but you’ll also better your future career too. Check out why below!   

6. You’ll benefit from a whole new skill set. 

You’re going to encounter new situations and challenges when you study abroad that will help you gain a whole new skill set. You’re bound to enhance your: 

• Problem-solving skills 
  • Time management 
  • Communication skills with diverse peoples from varying cultures 
  • Critical thinking skills 

And many, many more! Having these skills will make you stand out to future employers and help mold you into an awesome leader in the workplace. 

7. Make lifelong connections and increase your global network.   

During your study abroad program, you’re going to meet a lot of people on both a personal and professional level. You’ll be able to leverage your connections that’ll help you be successful in your career. You never know the ties people in your global network might have. Our global network of alumni is impressive, to say the least. 

8. Develop your passions into a career. 

One of the major benefits of studying abroad is that you’re going to discover a lot about yourself. And this likely means finding new or developing already-existing passions. You’ll be able to use this inspiration to help you start mapping out your ideal career and plans for the future.   

Other Benefits of Studying Abroad 

If the personal and career benefits of studying abroad weren’t enough to convince you, check out a few more bonus reasons to study abroad. 

9. See some of the world’s most iconic sites and attractions. 

We’d be remiss if we didn’t mention that while you study abroad, you’re going to see some of the world’s most iconic sites and attractions. Imagine feasting your eyes on the Eiffel Tower, the Colosseum, The Great Wall of China, the Sydney Opera House, Mt. Fuji, the Cliffs of Moher, Stonehenge…we really could keep going. A study abroad adventure is a once in a lifetime opportunity. 

10. You’ll get comfortable on a year-long program. 

When most people think of studying abroad, they likely think of semester-long programs. But, depending on your personal and academic schedule, year-long study abroad programs are an option with CIEE. And they’re a ton of fun. 

One of the major benefits of studying abroad for an entire year is the fact that you’ll get to relax more. Sometimes a semester can fly by; and with travel, new surroundings, new class schedule, and maybe a bit of culture shock, a semester abroad can go by even quicker. With a whole year under your belt, you’ll get a little more familiar with your new city and get adjusted to the local culture. You’ll have more time to truly enjoy your surroundings and your courses. Don’t count out a year-long study abroad program when looking at your options. 

What CIEE Study Abroad Programs Can I Do for a Year? 

CIEE offers many, many programs that students can go on for a full year. From post high-school options to college study abroad programs and beyond, you can find a full-year program that will help you both personally and professionally while also being so, so fun. 

Explore our options: 

EXPLORE CIEE ABROAD PROGRAMS