Must-Try Cuisine in Amman, Jordan!

Middle East Studies

Elysse G.

Jordanian cuisine is a delicious and unique blend of flavors from the Middle East, North Africa, and the Mediterranean. Here are the five most famous Jordanian dishes that you must try when visiting the country:

1. Mansaf

Mansaf is considered the national dish of Jordan and is a staple in Jordanian cuisine. It's made with tender lamb cooked in a sauce of fermented dried yogurt, called jameed, and served over a bed of rice. Mansaf is typically garnished with almonds and pine nuts, and often accompanied by a side of fresh salad and flatbread.

2. Makloubeh

Makloubeh is a popular dish in Jordan and throughout the Middle East. It's a layered dish that typically includes rice, eggplant, potatoes, and chicken or beef. The ingredients are cooked together in a pot, then flipped over onto a serving platter so that the crispy bottom layer is on top. Makloubeh is often garnished with fried nuts and served with a side of yogurt.

3. Falafel

Photo for blog post Must-Try Cuisine in Amman, Jordan!

Falafel is a popular street food in Jordan and is made from ground chickpeas, herbs, and spices that are formed into small balls and deep-fried. Falafel is typically served in pita bread with lettuce, tomatoes, and tahini sauce, and is a delicious vegetarian option.

4. Knafeh

Knafeh is a sweet and savory dessert made from shredded phyllo dough, cheese, and a syrup made from rose water and orange blossom water. The dish is topped with crushed pistachios and is typically served warm. Knafeh is a popular dessert in Jordan, especially during holidays and special occasions.

5. Shawarma

Shawarma is a popular Middle Eastern sandwich that's made from thinly sliced marinated meat, usually chicken or beef, that's cooked on a spit and then wrapped in pita bread. The meat is typically topped with pickled vegetables, hummus, and tahini sauce, and is a delicious and filling option for a quick meal on the go.

Jordanian cuisine is a rich and diverse blend of flavors that's sure to delight any food lover. From the savory and hearty mansaf to the sweet and delicate knafeh, these five dishes are a must-try when visiting Jordan.