The Miracles of a Gray Winter: Finding Color in Unexpected Places

By: Rachel Fischler

“Hier ist kunst” lay sprawled along a building in spray paint. Translated across the kaleidoscope of language, the city whispered “here is art”.  For those that call Berlin home for the long winter, the eerily consistent sameness of a gray sky will challenge each spirit. Sometimes, it feels like it has been lifetimes since you have seen the sun. The grey sky affects the way all things are perceived, and while many feel dulled and seek solace in many of the warm welcoming spaces in Berlin, those that embrace the gray will find there is much detail set free by this satin sky.

Berlin’s Sun

In order to take notice of the light in Berlin’s darkness, there are certain measures I found to be helpful. Rising early and catching what daylight there is will never go unappreciated by our complex beings. I found the sun would often show iself from time to time in the afternoon, be sure to appreciate this beauty. The way the sun segments the sky is unique wherever you are in the world. A good winter coat, scarf, and hat are a necessity. I was amazed by how many people were seen simply spending time outside, despite the elements. Such is an important lesson I embraced.

The Vibrance of People

Spending time around others, whether it is going to different free public events allow the beauty of human connectiont to be nourished despite the isolation of the cold. Comedy nights like “Laughing on the Spree”, flea markets like at Mauerpark, free museum Sundays once a month, and still further musical, artistic, and other endeavors bring life to the city. Cozying up in a cafe and taking in the world is often a beautiful way to explore Berlin. Distinctly unique spaces to enjoy a warm drink abound.

Art Blossoms in the In-Betweens

Berlin is known as a very artsy city, but I believe it to be an artsyness of greater authenticity and inclusivity which makes it so special. Graffiti is not seen as polluting, it survives in many spaces. Simple spray painted words and designs blur into more complex mixed media, all along the streets. What is considered art is quite open to interpretation. Those who wander by often find great beauty in surroundings regardless of presupposed traditions . Rather, it is what speaks to you that will sustain you. Accessibility in art, a most powerful healing thing, is so important; in Berlin one wanders and within the same street will see art of all kinds, colors, size, and shape. For instance, the East side gallery shares vibrant portraits lining Mühlenstraße for all to see, portraying love, hope, and indelible plurality.

At the Alexanderplatz Bahnhof, the exterior walls along the quieter side are beautiful brick, laid in patterns sweeping in arcs. Approaching it closely, it is a beautiful textural reality of Berlin that greets you. Stunning mixed media from statues–to paint–to adhesives create an entire universe of something uniquely its own. Someone who had been living in Berlin for 10 years shared that the city had so much art and color in every nook and cranny for a reason. It is deliberate–to help everyone make it through the gray days. And while cloudy skys are quite unremarkable to most, it allows Berlin a veritable gift, room to reveal itself.